By Abhaikumar Sakthi and Ramaswami Palaniappan Arjun.
The IEEE Young Professionals of Singapore Section successfully conducted a career talk on “Start Early, Plan Your Career with Industry Insight” in association with NTU Graduate Student Council and NTU World of Wisdom. The speakers of the session were Mr. Satsheel Shrotriya, Senior Engagement Manager at McKinsey & Co, Mr. Aayush Singhania, Senior Manager at Paypal – Global strategy & BD, Mrs. Snigdha Singhania, Associate at Google Singapore and Mrs. Sonal Chinchwadkar, Learning & Design Manager at 3D Networks.
The talk was held on 17th September 2016 from 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. The target audience for the event was Masters and Post Graduate students from various engineering domains.
The talk highlighted about the speakers’ personal working experiences, advice to students for their current/future job hunting, building up an effective resume, creating a good LinkedIn profile for effectively expanding one’s professional network, Singapore’s job market and tips to win job interviews. The talk was quite insightful since the speakers having diverse profiles were giving the students important tips on the following aspects:
- How to build a professional network in Singapore.
- Jobs and dream jobs: one or many dream jobs during our life?
- Creating a story behind your Resume: what is a good story and how to tell it?
- Writing your Resume: tips and format.
- How do companies shortlist candidates?
- Cover letter.
- Use LinkedIn effectively.
- Interview: dos and don’ts.
- Interview preparation: most common asked questions.
Proceedings finally concluded with a short student networking session with the speakers over refreshments.
The pictures of the event can be viewed from our Facebook page via this link.
Ramaswami Palaniappan Arjun